Tuesday 7 April 2009

Friends Reunited

MyMan surprised me this morning. He suddenly said he would like to try and make contact with an old friend, John M. He used ot go to school with him and they were cycling companions. In fact John was with MyMan when he had his first road traffic accident. Age 16 he'd been hit by a motorcylist emerging from a side road. This in the 1960s when cyclists did not wear protective clothing.

Having an unusual surname I said I would Google John M and see what I could find. I found him straight away - first hit on the list - was John M, an estate agent and surveyor in Kent. It mentioned that he had lived in South Africa for a few years. True - that was how he and MyMan had lost touch with each other. The second item on Google search results list told me he had died in August.

I found his Friends Reunited page which made no mention of his death. Not surprising. It's a shame that family members can't post something up as a notice. It said he was divorced with children. And that he was enjoying life and happy. I printed off the newspaper item of his brief biography and about his death at the beginning of August. I feel sad over the death of a man I never met. And sad for MyMan.

7 comments:

ADDY said...

That is sad. It makes us feel our own mortality. Such a a shame that MyMan can no longer make contact with him, as it might have given him an outside interest.

Henry North London 2.0 said...

Oh dear This is sometimes what happens

I came back from New Zealand and wanted to get in touch with someone and then forgot

He had died He was younger than I am this was 7 years ago

Cancer...

Penny Pincher said...

I know Roserio - at least it will spur him on to keep in contact with current friends - I hope.

That's sad Henry - so young - bad enough with MyMan's friend mid 60's - which feels young to me nowadays! ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's sad to hear someone has died. It is odd that the friend died in August and so realtively soon after Myman thinks about him after so many years. I rather fancy his old friend was "reaching out" and saying goodbye to Myman.

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth Horatio than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (Hamlet)

Penny Pincher said...

That was just my feeling too J9.

Exmoorjane said...

I am so sorry about this. Sounds like it was a big deal for YourMan to reach out like that and to find the friend had died would be a blow indeed. How tragic too that the FR page is there, as if he were still alive - that seems so wrong somehow.

Penny Pincher said...

Welcome Exmoorjane - it's good of you to pop in - it is sad having FR page still 'open' isn't it - just as it is when one chances upon an open but long abandoned blog . . .